Sunday, March 21, 2010

I'm a car


So, I am right in the middle of the most intense part of the training, and I am proud to say that I did survive the 18-miler this Saturday. WOOOOOOHOOOOOO. As my friend so elegantly put it, i am now officially a car with that kind of mileage. As strange as it sounds, i didn't actually think I would be able to do this before last weekend when I finished 16. Over and over again I have heard people say, "If you can run 13, you can run a marathon." Turns out, I am starting to believe them.

Here's the tough part about this whole running business - I can now run 18 miles (and hopefully more), but there are days where 5 miles is the most painful thing in the world. I just don't get it. Sometimes it actually feels better to know I have to run 18 rather than just 5. With a short run, I never really get into the rhythm of everything, if that makes any sense.

Ok, well off to bed. Just wanted to give everyone an update of where I am in the training and let you all know that I think I might pull this off. I'll leave you with things I currently LOVE:

1. Body Glide
When I run for that long, my body starts to rebel against my own clothing, particularly
seams and edges. Sounds gross, but this anti-chafing gel rocks and has saved me from body burns.

2. Casa de Campo
I cannot say it enough. This park is AMAZING. It gets a really bad rep because of the plethora of prostitutes at all of its entrances, but once inside, it looks like a national park. Also, it makes it much easier to run 18 miles when I don't have to
do laps :)


3. My foam roll
For those of you who have not encountered the wonder that is the foam roll, I strongly encourage you to head to your nearest physical therapist NOW. This really is one of the most amazing devices I have ever found and is an athlete's best friend. Basically, its just a small tube made of foam but it acts as a deep tissue massage for all of those aches and pains (calves, IT band, lower back...). It sounds crazy but it has saved me from limping down the street in Madrid.


As always, thank you to everyone for the kind notes and support. I will send an update on the fundraising efforts as soon as I hear back from Colby.

Un abrazo,
Whit

No comments:

Post a Comment