Monday, April 26, 2010

26.2! WOOOOHOOOOOO!


It's done! No more running (at least for a little while). I'm sorry I didn't write yesterday, but I have been trying to figure out how to describe what's going on in my head. Primary emotions = relief and gratitude. Relief I didn't fail. Relief I didn't hurt myself. Gratitude towards my priceless friends/family. Gratitude towards my now very achy body.

It was tough and hot. Way harder than I ever thought it would be. After all, I had run 20. 26.2 didn't seem like that long after that very painful run. Little did I know, it would be the hottest day of the year in Madrid on marathon Sunday. The first half went really well. We started on the Paseo de Recoletos (one of the main streets in Madrid) and went north towards the business district and the Estadio de Bernabeu (where Real Madrid plays) and then looped around a residential area before heading back towards my neighborhood (about a block from my house) and the very center of the city. The crowds were great, and although it was hot, I trailed a man and his wife to keep pace. All in all, my stride was good and I was coasting. Until mile 13, where I quickly realized I was DEAD.

I have read and heard about the dreaded WALL. Most people have described the feeling of helplessness that awaits marathoners around mile 20. The body simply cannot produce more effort. Glycogen debt and all that business. Needless to say, I was a little concerned that my wall came about 7 miles early. I met up with a friend (thank you Julia) at the half way point, who kept me going through my beloved Casa de Campo. Turns out the trees and sun are not so beautiful during a marathon. I tried to focus on my breath and getting back into a rhythm but my ipod broke soon after going into the park which threw me off the rest of the way. Instead I focused on Julia's back in hopes we would hit mile 18 soon and I could walk through the water stop.

Instead, we emerged from Casa de Campo to see a HILL (another one, eeek). I really did think it was over. "Screw it, I'll walk to the end" just kept going through my head. Then, my saving grace. Nicole (my roommate from Colby who FLEW from Germany to help me finish this race) and Cameron (my roommate and former Hockadaisy teammate who ran around Madrid all afternoon with extra supplies) were standing halfway up the hill. I can safely say that I don't think I have ever been more happy to see two people in my entire life. A little bit of water and some extra gu helped me get going again (verrrryyyy slowly). Nicole finished out the race with Julia and me. Not only did she give me her ipod when mine stopped working but she also ran ahead to get extra water to dump on my back. This all after she completed her very own half-marathon last weekend. Definition of badasss: Nicole Veilleux.

Highlights of the marathon:

There was also a 10k that started with the marathon. The 10k-ers ran with the marathoners until the stadium and then turned off to finish their loop. When the two groups split, the 10k runners started cheering and applauding all the marathoners. It was awesome. It was also near the beginning when I could still process things like noise and sight.

Running through my neighborhood. This was pretty badass and included a cameo from another coworker who ran about 5 miles with me.

Running through the center of Madrid (Sol, Palacio, Plaza Mayor)

Everything after this was absolutely horrible until I saw Nicole and Cameron. It included a man running without shoes beating me in Casa de Campo. Slightly embarrassing.

NICOLE AND CAMERON!!!!!!!

Watching Nicole run to water stations and then dump so much water on my back that a man actually asked me if I had showered. Also embarrassing.

The fans were awesome throughout the whole race. There were only 500 women out of a total of about 10,000 runners, so people were especially impressed with the female runners, even if I was running so slow I could have been going backwards. Venga! Guapa! Anda! Campeona! Esas chicas! Ya está hecho! Queda poco!

Actually running past some people near the end.

A impromptu rendition of "Faith" by George Michael near km 36. Actually helped a lot. Especially cause I stole Nicole's ipod and she was excited to hear some music....even if I was wheezing the lyrics by that point.

Seeing another group of English teachers in the last mile. Total surprise.

Knowing I was sort of almost done.

Running through the 10 arches at the end that I thought were the finish line to actually get to the META and knowing I had finished without dying (even if it did take a LONG time).

Getting my cheap finishers medal. BOOYEA!

Thanks to everyone for your constant support. Knowing that so many people were behind me was very helpful during that come-to-Jesus moment in the park. I will be sure to update with more photos from the marathon and plans for the Gandhi Ashram in future posts. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! GRACIAS A TODOS!

Un abrazo,
Whit


The course
http://www.maratonmadrid.org/recorrido_prov_2010.pdf
http://www.maratones.com.mx/mapas/MadridMap.pdf


article from El País on the Madrid Marathon (it's in spanish)
http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/42/kilometros/gota/gota/elpepudep/20100425elpepudep_7/Tes


No comments:

Post a Comment